Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Art, meet Fashion...

Finsk 116-97 style sandal
 
Everyday, barraged with images screaming from billboards, ads pleading to be noticed, I like to take a step back and remember why fashion interested me in the first place.

As a voyeur of humanity, nothing signals how a person feels more than what they choose to wear on a given day.

I tire of the scoffing I get, the ribbing, when I defend a hand-beaded dress that took twenty people three months to make has a matching price tag in the tens of thousands of dollars.  When something is changed from a flat piece of material into a 3D spectacle meant to be worn on a body, it is a Pygmalion miracle that transforms the garment and the wearer into art.

 

The same people who would not flinch to spend $20,000.00 on a paint-splattered piece of cotton stretched on a frame roll their eyes in disgust at a garment that costs as much.  No one says to a fine artist, "What did the supplies cost you?" but to a costumer or fashion designer that is very often the first question.

I am learning to value process as much as progress.  I hope to live long enough to see couture receive the same respect as all other mediums.  When you ask why a garment costs so much, look for the germ of the idea and the difficulty of the execution...those are priceless.

-JFA

No comments:

Post a Comment